School Closure Resources
INCLEMENT WEATHER CLOSURE
FRIDAY, JANUARY 19, 2024
Out of an abundance of caution as many district side streets and school parking lots are still unsafe to navigate, all NCSD schools will be closed on Friday, January 19, 2024.
All before and after-school CARE programs are closed, and all afternoon and evening activities scheduled to take place at district facilities are canceled.
Although a second day of warmer temperatures did clear major roadways, many streets within our district bus routes and walkways in neighborhoods have not thawed enough for safe travel. We've also learned of road closures and power lines down across parts of our 40-square-mile attendance area, leaving families without power. As previously stated, this is always a difficult decision with many influencing factors. In addition to road conditions, we have been monitoring the following over the last several days:
Safe walking conditions for students and staff
Consultation with local City operations and first responders
Condition of facilities and impact from water leaks or fallen trees and branches
Access to driveways and parking lots of our schools
Power outages around the district
Number of known and anticipated staff absences
Temperatures are expected to continue rising throughout the day tomorrow and throughout the weekend, which should allow all schools to safely resume as regularly scheduled on Monday. Please note that NCSD typically sends closure/delay information no later than 6:30 a.m. Please remember to check your messages.
Please see below for additional information about NCSD's closure policy
Inclement Weather and Emergency Closures
Decisions to close or delay school due to weather are generally made by 6:30 a.m. or, when possible, the night before.
When schools are closed due to weather or other emergency situations, parents/guardians have several options where information can be obtained:
- ParentSquare - NCSD will contact families and staff through Parentsquare (email, text, and app notification) in the case of an emergency closure. Depending on the timing and nature of the closure or emergency, NCSD may also contact families by phone call through Parentsquare.
- Register for FlashAlert, which provides school closure information via text, email, or an app: FlashAlert.
- Call the School Closure Hotline: 503-353-6020. Updates are provided in English, Spanish, and Russian. The hotline is updated by 6:30 a.m. on days when schools are impacted by weather or other unforeseen events.
- Visit NCSD’s website. In the event of a school closure, there will be a pop-up on all district and school web pages announcing closure or delay information.
- Follow the district X (Formerly Twitter) page (@nc12schools).
- Follow North Clackamas Schools on Facebook.
- Watch: TV Channels KATU 2, KOIN 6, KGW 8 and KPTV 12.
- Listen: 1190 KEX AM/103.3 KKCW FM Radio